Movement One: Learn and Pray
Listen to the audio teaching and prayer guide together
Use the following guide for writing your own lament. We recommend that each person has their own copy.
Movement Two: Personal Reflection
Leave a few moments of silence to reflect on these questions
- Jenna said that “all of our emotions eventually express themselves.” How do you tend to express your emotions, particularly difficult emotions like pain, sadness, or anger?
- Do you have any experiences of pain that have brought you closer to God?
- How do you feel about “fighting the addiction to happy worship?” What would it look like for you to bring your pain into community and even into a space of worship?
Movement Three: Group Discussion
Use the following questions to help facilitate discussion
- Did anything from the teaching stand out to you?
- How was your experience of the practice of writing your own lament? Was it difficult, or did it come naturally to you?
- How do you feel about “fighting the addiction to happy worship?” What would it look like for you to bring your pain into community, or even into a time of communal worship?